married couple

If you intend to marry a U.S. citizen, your fiancé(e) may bring you to the United States for that purpose with the K-1 visa. Petition approval normally take from one to four months. After the petition is approved, it will take an additional one to four months for the issuance of the visa. You must marry your U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days after you enter the U.S. Your minor, unmarried children under 21 may come with you as accompanying relatives.

There are four conditions to getting a K-1 Visa:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen;
  • Both members of the couple must be legally able to marry;
  • The foreign national must have a genuine intention to marry the petitioner after arriving in the U.S., and 

The couple must have met and seen each other within the past two years, unless they practice a religion that forbids couples to meet before marriage, or if their meeting would cause exceptional hardship.

Service Area:

Need help with any legal issues?